Sunday, August 25, 2013

At the Watering Hole



 Hey Guys

It's been a whole week, I must apologize for my absence, but varsity has finally hit me for a six and deadline week lurks just around the corner. Considering I didn't post the whole of  this week , I wasn't able to chat to you guys  about last week Sunday, where my family and I manned our annual watering point for the John Korasie race in Simon's Town . We were down three team members this year and the pressure was on. 

 

                


 
 
As is tradition every year, we had a 4 am wake-up call and clear skies had the early morning temperatures in the single digits. It was cold, it was dark and my UCT hoodie could only do so much damage in the heat department.  But Man, was the view over the navy dockyard amazing. Against the backdrop of the morning sky and the pitch black silky ocean, the naval base shone like marvelous beacon. Believe it or not, it got even better, with the skies opening to a stream of gold light as sunrise greeted us with some much needed warmth.  Breathtaking to say the least.

                



The first runners hit our watering point just on 7 am, where our handouts of coke and water were grabbed by runners who had just come to the disappointing realization that they had only reached the 6 km mark. Of course we obliged by screaming at the top of our lungs to keep the poor guys and girls going. As a seasonal runner myself, I know how, a little, encouragement from onlookers can go a long way. By 8.30 the runners were long gone and we had managed to make a speedy clean up. 


There was only one thing left to do and that was to have breakfast.  Our bacon and egg rolls seemed to be the only thing that got the team up at 4 am every year to help out. The skottel was setup within minutes and the bacon and eggs were quickly sizzling away. Our breakfast permeated through the morning air with nosefuls of deliciousness.


 


While the rest of the team finished up with breakfast, my cousin, her boyfriend and I, took a walk up to Simon's Towns Scala Battery or Upper North Battery.  It had a grungy un-kept, yet totally hipster quality to it. It was definitely a spot I could vision some really exclusive magazine doing a photo shoot.  The battery was built in 1902 with a 9.2 inch gun. The view from the Gun looked over the whole Simon's Town and False Bay; it definitely makes sense as to why the gun is situated where it is. My recommendation today is to take a drive up to Simon's Town for some breathtaking views or to plunge into some real history.  Until I blog again.

Love and Peace  

No comments:

Post a Comment